Pages

Friday, June 16, 2017

Fishing Centerpiece in Cylinder Vase

As promised in my previous post, here is a simple tutorial on how to create a fishing themed centerpiece in a cylinder vase.  I've had some emails asking me about this picture I posted here a couple of years ago and so I thought it was time I explained what I did to design it.

Here are the items you will need:
- cylinder vases with inserts (inserts optional) 
    you can purchase them HERE
- blue coloured glass beads
- aqua coloured sea glass pieces
- faux greenery
- fish-shaped fishing lures 
- fishing floats/bobbers
- floating candles
- fishing line
- scissors
Start with freshly washed cylinder vases/inserts.

Place blue glass beads inside vases/inserts to cover bottom.

Sea glass pieces should be available at craft stores.  I can't remember for sure but I might even have gotten mine at Walmart.

Place a few sea glass pieces on top of the glass beads in the vases.

Faux greenery helps to set the underwater scene for the fish.

Place small pieces of some type of greenery that resembles grasses that grow in water, in the vases.

Fish-shaped fishing lures come in all sorts of sizes and materials and are available at fishing supply stores.  I prefer the heavier plastic ones for this project.

The floats/bobbers also come in different sizes and I used some of the smaller ones.

Cut a lengthy piece of clear fishing line and tie it to the wire ring on the fishing lure. Then pull the line through the wire ring on the bobber.

Leave the fishing line long until you place the fish/bobber in the vase so you can see where you want the fish to hang.

Position the fishing lure in the vase at desired level and hang the bobber over the side.  You can then trim the excess fishing line.

If you are using the glass inserts, you can then place them in the cylinder vases.

Fill the inserts halfway with water and add floating candles.

This is how they will look if you use the glass inserts however...

...if you don't have the inserts, you may fill the vases with water to desired level and place the floating candle on top.

I've had some readers say that the fishing lure floats to the top with this method so I would suggest using a heavier lure as these ones I used stayed midway in the vase.

The water in the vase does tend to magnify the fish which may or may not appeal to you.

I recently did a fishing themed tablescape using these centerpieces.

You can see more details from it here.

If you have an upcoming occasion where this theme fits, I hope you've been inspired to create your own cylinder vase fishing-themed centerpiece.

Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
A Bouquet of Talent  at Life on Lakeshore Drive
Sundays at Home at Love of Home
Silver Pennies Sunday at Silver Pennies
Dishing It & Digging It at Rustic & Refined
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
Celebrate Your Story at Celebrate & Decorate
Brag About It Tuesday at My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design
Share Your Style at Essence of Home
Share Your Cup at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Home Matters at Life with Lorelai
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Foodie Friday & Everything Else at Rattlebridge Farm
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

8 comments:

  1. These are so darn cute. I'm glad you showed how to make them. I'm all worn out from doing some gardening otherwise I'd run to the store to make a couple for Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, That is a delightful theme. The center pieces turned out really nice. Adding a couple drops of blue food coloring might create a nice look as well. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so adorable for a guys birthday or Fathers day or even for a lady
    that might love fishing, I don't know any, but there might be some! lol
    Anyway what a great idea, my son would love this....
    Might tuck this away as a table for his birthday in November...as I already
    have the stones and 3 cylinder...

    Thanks for the great idea, it really is so cute....

    Blessings,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so clever! Love how they turned out!! Thanks for sharing the how to's with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these and want to make them for my fathers memorial but I can’t find any vases with the inserts sadly. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, You don't have to have the inserts to make these. Further down in my post I show you how to make the fishing centerpieces without the insert. If you get the glass vases (Dollar Store, Walmart, Ikea, etc) you can put everything in them and leave like that or if you want the floating candle on top, just add water to the whole vase. Hope that helps! ~ Lori

      Delete
    2. AnonymousMay 17, 2022

      Can these be made with resin?

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".