Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Italian Wine-Themed Tablescape


Earlier this summer, I was asked to provide tablecloths and centerpieces for a friend's outdoor family reunion.  As many of her family members are of Italian descent, she was thinking of something in the way of an Italian and/or wine-themed type of décor. I thought you might like to take a look at what I came up with.

 
I set up a sample table in my backyard to try things out. Even though she only wanted tablecloths and centerpieces, I had to get a feel for the theme by setting a complete tablescape.


Inspiration began when I started thinking Italian restaurant and the classic red/white checked tablecloth came to mind.
 
 
Special thanks to my sister for cutting/sewing the tablecloths into square overlays and matching napkins -sewing is definitely not my forte. I tucked a sprig of faux rosemary inside the napkin ring for this sample table.
 
To try and incorporate a wine-theme to the table, I created a centerpiece by placing an embellished empty wine bottle inside a burlap lined wire basket (Walmart). The wine bottle was filled with water to give it some weight.
 
I wanted to have a bit of the look of the Italian chianti bottles (another classic Italian restaurant item) so I wrapped the top of the wine bottle with raffia and attached some faux grapes.
 
Burlap/ lace wire ribbon (Walmart) was attached to the middle of the bottle with more raffia. Faux lemons and grapes, a grapevine wreath and faux rosemary (all from Dollar Store) were placed around the wine bottle in the wire basket.
 
Black lanterns were placed on each side of the centerpiece.
 
They were embellished with faux grapes and rosemary sprigs as well.
 
 
For this sample table, I used my red bowls with white plates (all from Pier 1) on top of a red charger.


Red picnic flatware adds a casual look to the table.
 

Here is a simple tip for coordinating the cushions of your outdoor dining chairs with your table...put white pillow cases over them!
 

As you can see, my chairs have a striped pattern that would have clashed with the red/white checkered tablecloth.
 
 
By adding white pillow cases and additional napkins pinned diagonally on top, a cohesive look is achieved.

 
What's a wine-themed table without some red wine?  Candlelight adds to the ambience - read on to see how I changed up the centerpiece.

 
 I also created another look with the same centerpiece by changing out the wine bottle.

 
I placed a cylinder vase with a floating candle in the insert inside the basket and then placed the embellished wine bottles on each side.

This creates a nice look for evening with the candles aglow.

  While I was setting the tables for the actual event, I snapped a few pics to capture how they looked (prior to chairs being set out) over at my friend's place. She has the most gorgeous view overlooking the river with a mountainous backdrop.

The Italian wine-themed centerpieces and tablecloths fit perfectly...

...with a view perhaps a bit reminiscent of Italy.

It was a fun challenge to create the table décor for my friend and very pleasing when she later told me, her guests loved it. 
I think it's my turn for a glass of wine!
 
 
Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
Sundays Down Under at Natasha in Oz
Five Star Frugal at A Tray of Bliss
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Talented Tuesdays at Home Remedies
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design
Share Your Style at Northern Nesting
What's It Wednesdays at Ivy & Elephants
Thursday Favorite Things at Surroundings by Debi
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection
Foodie Friday & Everything Else at Rattlebridge Farm
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Weekend Retreat at AKA Design
Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 

13 comments:

  1. Such a charming tablescape. I love all the layering and epecially the centerpiece. Great job!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful that your sister sewed the tablecloths and made matching napkins. Very clever of you to put pillowcases over the chair backs! The centerpiece you made is stunning, and I love the addition of the black lanterns with the red and white. The view is amazing! I hope you are very proud of what you accomplished for your friend. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for the outdoors. Love the tablecloth and matching napkins. I always love red checked. The lanterns will transition into evening and make a great centerpiece. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your Italian tablescape! So very appropriate and appealing. I have always enjoyed viewing your work - it continues to be an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great table, Lori! The pillowcase idea is brilliant! Love the wine basket centerpieces you created, the rosemary tucked in the napkins and the red and white checks! Fabulous!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job at creating an Italian table.
    I like the red bowl with the white plates / refreshing look.
    The crafted wine bottles with grapes is cleaver.
    Linda C in Seattle


    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori, thanks so much for your visit! I'm glad I could have inspired you! I LOVE your Italian themed tables. I am also amazed that you found some great things at Walmert and the dollar store!That faux rosenary is wonderful! Have a beautiful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, What a great friend you are (and your sister)to have put so much time and effort into helping your friend create a wonderful atmosphere for her family reunion. The fresh look of the red and white checks in the table linens sets the stage for a wonderful Italian theme table, the view from your friends backyard amped-up the Italian countryside image to the max. Kind of makes me want to cook up some pasta and come on over to sit down and join you at this charmingly lovely table. I love the setting with the lanterns and wine bottles on either side on the basket the best. Simple yet wonderful too! Have a wonderful week.... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the cutest table! Love the Italian theme! I like the red napkins on the chairs too! Coming from Sunday's down under!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori, we just returned from Italy and as soon as I saw your tablescape I was immediately transported back to Tuscany. So beautifully styled! Would you share this post at Five Star Frugal at my blog, A Tray of Bliss? We share ways to live elegantly for less and I can't think of a better way to do that than to entertain at home with a stunningly set table. I know that I have lots of followers-in-waiting for you. Love Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/50-fabulousfind-your-own-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you shared with us Lori. Thankyou! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This tablescape is amazing! You perfectly captured the look and feel your friend was after! So many clever ideas - the pillowcase/chair covers, the wine bottle decor, the custom tablecloths! And that VIEW! You couldn't have done it any better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just stumbled onto these pictures while browsing tablescape ideas, and I'm so impressed by the gorgeous result you created. How charming, bravo to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".