Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

A Summer Mantel


 It has been a sad time of late with the passing of my Grandma on May 11th and I dedicate this post in her memory.  She always appreciated the seasonal decorating I did for her at her condo and seemed proud to tell all who visited that her granddaughter had done it.
I enjoyed the visits I had with her while creating the various displays there and I am especially thankful for those memories now. 



 
The seasonal vignette I'm sharing with you today is my summer mantel. 
 
 
I wanted to create a beach/seaside feel using neutral colours. 
 
 
To update the lanterns that have been on the mantel since Easter (seen HERE), I tied a starfish to the front with raffia ribbon.
 
 
A woven type vase filled with grasses is placed in front of the mirror.
 
 
 
Two of these votive holders filled with sand and shells sit on each side of the grasses.
 
 
 
 
 I elevated the lanterns using over-turned small black pots.
 
 
 
 
 
I like the neutral look of these resin shells I purchased last year at a local gift store.
 
 
 
 
 
This one is similar but a different shape.
 
 
It sits at the other end of the mantelscape.
 
 
 
The full view.
 
 
 
 
The hearth is decorated with my large black lantern (Walmart last year) with shells placed around a pillar candle inside.
 
 
 
 
Might be over-kill on the grasses but I put another large vase of them on the hearth.
 
 
 
 
With the cool days/nights we've had lately, its been nice to have a cozy fire though I'm not sure it goes with the beachy mantel!
(For our fireplace makeover - click HERE)
 
 
  As I close this post, again, I am reminded of the enjoyment seasonal displays brought to my Grandma in her latter years and those memories will stay with me always. 
 
Thanks for visiting.
 
I will be linking this post to these fantastic blogs:
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Show & Tell Fridays at My Romantic
Be Inspired at Common Ground
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
 


12 comments:

  1. Your mantel is beautiful. Light and airy. I'm sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers are with you during this time. I'm glad you have so many fond memories to help ease the loss of your Grandma. fondly ~lynne ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was very proud of you. Beautiful mantel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your loss, but I am happy that you linked to Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mantel looks beautiful and your grandmother would agree.
    I am sorry for loss. Hugs and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantel is so pretty! The stone wall is a wonderful backdrop. Love that mirror and the grasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stone fireplace is gorgeous on it's own but you've managed to make it even prettier with all your decor...looks amazing!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mantel! I am new from southern charm. I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. So charming, tasteful and calming. Such a lovely way to honor your Grandmother.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous!! Wow. My favorite piece is the lantern with the starfish. You're great at mantels. Thanks for stopping by my patio refresh!

    lIna @ fancy frugal life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just lovely! I featured this post at Grace at Home--thank you so much for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful arrangement. I love beach decor.

    Thanks for sharing the part about your grandmother. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you tied the starfish on the outside of the lantern, the whole mantel looks lovely!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".